Sunday, November 7, 2010

I'm handy! And Devin explores the house.

There's something to be said about being a little handy when it comes to building things.  When I say handy, I mean DIY (do-it-yourself), git er' done, Sweet Jesus - Houston I have  a problem and I'm going to come up with a solution to fix this. 

My dilemma?  Stair Safety!  Devin is offically crawling around the house on the main floor.  Ok - so not quite crawling as much as dragginh his bodt around the floor.  But he's found the courage and curiosity to go beyond the kitchen and explore the two remianing rooms he seldomly visits.  The foyer and our entrance.  Only problem being, is that the foyer provides access both upstairs and downstairs.  When you have a 6.5 month year old exploring new areas, their understanding of depth perception and knowledge of consequences is fairly lacking.  Hell.  Lacking is a polite word.  They have as much common sense as a moth to a flame.  Is Devin smart?  Yes.  Is he fearless?  Yes.  Is he going to fall down the stairs because he doesn't realize the rammifications of height and distance.  Yesterday - Yes.  But as of today - NO!  Because I installed a saftey gate!

So I return to my Title.  I'm handy.  Now it's not like I'm Bob Villa or Mike Holmes or even Jeff Haworth.  These are talented men.  Titans of industry and capable of building beautiful and amazing things. When they build things, they build them right.  And then there's me.  Give me a problem or a job that needs to be done and I'll figure out a good way to do it. 

This problem solving capability was not not present in the house's former owner.  "Common sense" clearly lacked in the previous person who owned our house.  He / she mounted the child safety gate directly to the stair post.  If you don't know... that's just stupid.  Like really really dumb.  Bannisters and railing cost significant dollars and its not like you go out each day and think "hey - I'm going to get a whole new railing and posts".  You just don't drill holes into your stair posts.  It's not smart.  People just don't do that!

Enjoy my handy work.  Not a single screw in the post.  None!  Two beautifully cut cedar planks sandwiched on either side of the post.  And that safety gate is as solid and permanent as our brick house.  Six screws and it comes apart.  Everything sanded and smooth as fine as a baby's butt.  No damage to the staircase.  Sometimes I impress myself.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment